Monday, March 7, 2011

A Kid's Statements..

Hi There,


I've been doing more gigs as a Private Chef lately & that always has it's own little amusing scenarios. One of the great things about it is you get to see & know a different side of people. After all you are in their home taking over their kitchen! And you learn that most families are all the same with the same dynamics going as your own. Well almost, I'm sure you'll get the drift.

There was one particular family who I cooked for & I fell in love with every single family member. There were certainly some very special times while I was with them & many days of hysterical laughter from all of us. I especially loved the after school time. The kids would come home running into the kitchen & share their adventures with me. I would con them into peeling carrots while they chatted away. Sometimes they were onto what I was doing & other times they realized when it was too late! I would even bribe them with delicious 'treats' just so I could listen to their very important stories! You can't help but become an extended family member for the time you are with them.

The key to this type of work is to remember you are always staff & not their family nor part of their circle of friends so it is always wise to keep a professional distance.

There was one day one of the boys decided he wanted to learn how to cook. So we organised a time for he & I to do dinner together. He chose the Menu & away we went. We were doing well I have to say & then his father walked into the kitchen for a cuppa. A pretty normal occurrence, of course. Then the kid pipes up & says to his father. "Hey Dad look at me I'm being a servant"! ... I mean what can you say to that eh? Nothing like being put in your place by a spoilt little 12yr old brat now is there?
Needless to say that ruined the moment & I continued on cooking dinner while he went & played play station!
Thus, my statement above!

The truly magical thing about food is that it really doesn't matter who you are & what you do food does bring us all together. It has it's own unique way of grounding us & weaving it's healing magic in whatever way is needed.

Until next week

Chow..

With love

J-A xo

No comments:

Post a Comment