Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Party Season begins....

The posh Cocktail Party I mentioned earlier had some extra behind the scenes goings on!
It was the Clients feeling a little stressed! 
The day as I mentioned was stinking hot & the full blast of the Western Sun was making things hotter than it needed to. Overlooking Sydney Harbour yet there was no sea breeze as such. The area of the party had a plastic marquee effect & the clients wanted it zipped up. It was like being in a Sauna. This is what the wife wanted. Then when the husband arrived he wanted the whole thing open & exposed. Phew.. we could all get some fresh air again & maybe stop sweating so much!
Meanwhile the husband & wife were having an absolute screaming match between themselves about whether or not it should be open or closed! There were 10 staff members & none of us knew where to look because there was bound to be one of us to start laughing at this ridiculous argument. This is usually me who starts to get the giggles at the most inappropriate time! in my opinion I knew what I wanted to do but my lips were zipped in fear of getting screamed at myself!
It is really quite normal to see the most gracious of hosts & hostesses turn in Godzilla characters. So unfortunately this is was normal really.. they get themselves completely stressed for who knows why just before the guests arrive.  
Ok so back to the screaming match. Neither the husband or wife were backing down on this marquee thing. Still screaming at each other this time adding bits of personal stuff we really didn’t need to hear about! Then they both looked at me & asked me what should they do?
Omg I nearly died.. love them both but each have very strong personalities & in essence I was scared of both of them! So I suggested maybe opening it a little but not too much. So with that the husband demanded the whole thing be completely opened up. He had spoken & made the final decision & that was that! So the waiters quickly attended to this request.
I swear less than 5 mins after this was the done, the bar was set beautifully, guests were close to arriving & some of the drinks were starting to be poured. The biggest gusts of wind came from no where. It was like a mini tournedo coming through. Now I won’t even mention what the wife had to say about this as I am sure you can guess! Well all of the glasses were knocked over, yes even those with the pre-poured drinks in them & what a mess. Omg it was total chaos.. glasses were smashing on the slate tiles (yes those slate tiles again) & so on. Our stress levels went from a low 2 to a maximum of 10 in less than 30secs..
With some pretty fast work by everyone we were able to salvage some of the tablecloths, sweep up the broken the glass & start again pouring the drinks. We just finished having it look all professional again when the door bell goes with the first guests arriving…
Oh phew we made it…. & they didn’t ever know…
Chow
J-A xo

No comments:

Post a Comment