Wednesday, April 27, 2011

How to cover up a kitchen disaster..

Hi There,

You know what is so cool about being a chef? We can create pretty much anything & anything we feel like or choose to eat for ourself  & others. So this gives me the opportunity to experiment with food, ideas & boundaries. Although I'm not quite as theatrical as Heston I have to say but if given the chance to be in a kitchen with him I would gladly help him stir a pot or 2 to create magic!

What I really love about my clients & readers is they ask me for inspiration & tips to make their lives easier. Please make their food healthy, no fat & very little carbs or others just don't care what I prepare for them as 'food isn't their thing'.
Do I have any disasters on some of these experiments? Umm. YES... of course I do. We all do. If we didn't then how could we create new & exciting recipes?



I was cooking a Dinner Party for one of the elite Castles in the Highlands of Scotland & I had a huge disaster! Well I did redeem myself in the end & they were no more the wiser. I pushed some boundaries & decided to make a 3 tier Bavarois in a terrine tin using dark, milk & white chocolate. I have made this many times & it looks & tastes spectacular. Only pushing boundaries because of time. I really should have started it the day before, but sometimes the ego of we chef's can get a little 'escalated' to say the least & because I  considered myself a pretty hot chef all would be fine! And yep I used to be one of those ego driven, psycho chefs when the need arose!

Ok so a few hours before the guests were to dine I started making it. The mixtures were divine, really smooth & exactly what I wanted. Everything is going to plan. Realising I was going to need to rush a few things I put each layer into the freezer to speed things along. No need to panic yep still going really, really well. Finished the top layer & yep it is setting as it should & I'm patting myself on the back now so put it into the fridge.

Off to attend to the other courses for dinner I left the Bavarois to set. After entree was served I checked on the Bavarois. Mmmm it wasn't quite as set as I would have liked it to be. Popped it into the freezer again & served main course.

Ok it was time to serve my fabulous creation now. The plates were ready to go & I made sure just before the Waiters took them to the table I would plate the Bavarois. Again perfect plan going well. So was given the call to serve them so I turned them out & started to slice it. Ooh the slices were a little soft but ok, just. Then I find out Dessert was to be delayed by 20mins... OMG this was a disaster! My dessert wouldn't hold for that long & there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. During that time the White Chocolate just hadn't set & as it was sitting out it just turned into a runny custard. The Dark Chocolate layer was fine & by the time the guests were ready to eat the Milk Chocolate layer was looking a little runny as well. It was turning to soup right in front of my eyes..

The Waiters were in a complete panic by now.. those of you who don't know me when others panic I become more chilled out! I was really lucky because for whatever reason there wasn't a Menu card on the table so the guests didn't know what dessert was going to be. Don't know why as there always is... but hey my good fortune.

So what does a Chef do when they are cooking a Formal Dinner for Aristocrats & Heads of State when perfection is expected & they have such a major disaster & no time to start again? Well I of course just renamed the dessert. Instead of calling it " Triple Chocolate Bavarois Terrine with Berries" I called it "Dark Chocolate Stick with a White & Milk Chocolate Anglaise & Berries".
The Waiters weren't impressed with my plan & said I wouldn't get away with it. I told them to hold their heads high & just do as I said. Got the feedback later & the guests raved about my 'new' creation! They thought I was very clever for making a dish so outside the box... so my ego continued to get bigger... :)

Now you know one of our trade secrets! Rename the dish if you have to..

Have a wonderful week.

Bon Apetit

With love

J-A xo

No comments:

Post a Comment